Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hi!

        I'm Claire O'Callaghan and this is my blog about eyes.  I think eyes are fascinating because of their beauty, variety and the way that they translate light waves into a language for our brain that allows us to see!  Also, I think that the genetics of eye color are really interesting.  Did you know that eye color is a polygenic trait?  This means that multiple genes on the human genome code for one phenotypic trait- the color of your eyes.
         What color are your eyes?  Are your parents' eyes the same color as yours, or did you inherit an unexpected eye color?  Or maybe your eyes are a combination of lots of different colors, like this picture:
Feel free to leave comments below to participate in the discussion!

4 comments:

  1. Claire, such an interesting topic that you selected to blog about! As you quoted in your blog, “The eyes are the mirror of the soul.” I’ve always found that I could tell a lot about someone based on their eyes. I also find the genetics piece of determining eye color to be very interesting. My sister-in-law’s family has a very interesting eye color situation. She has brown (although her father had green), her husband has blue. Their 4 children have quite a variety of color eyes; 2 blue, 1 green/hazel, 1 brown. I’m not sure how that all happens genetically but it is very interesting. What other topics will you be discussing in your blog? Perhaps some information on conditions such as nearsightedness and farsightedness would be interesting. You’re off to a great start with your blog; I’m looking forward to returning soon to read (and learn) more! Mrs. A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shmoop! You are so good at blogging! Your idea is so unique and it is also really good because it is applicable to everyone because everyone has eyes(unless they are blind or have lost eyes). Anyways, I am interested to find out more about eyes so keep it up! You should make a 'guess which celebrity has theses eyes' post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Claire!
    You chose a great topic to write about for your blog. It’s so interesting! The pictures you included are awesome! I especially like your first post with the blue eye. My main eye color resembles a blueish-green. I have noticed that depending on what I’m wearing, they tend to change between blue and green. I already know that eyes are a polygenic trait from biology class this year so when I read it in your post, I was able to connect with the information. In addition to this post, I love your background with all of the eyes. It adds contrast with the green background of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Claire! Good job on the blogging. You have a really well-written post. Not to mention, you have a really awesome looking blog, with all the eyes repeated in the background. It contrasted well with your other colors used in the blog, making your text easy to read. Again, great job on the blog.

    ReplyDelete